A Stock Pledge Agreement is a legal document which is created when two parties decide to organize a loan agreement in exchange for stocks in a certain organization. The most common use of this legal document is found when a company or an organization needs to take a loan from another organization and in exchange for the funds being issued, offers a certain percentage of shares or stocks as security or collateral. This legal document acts as a bond of trust between both the parties and indicated that a loan is being disbursed in exchange for providing stocks as collateral.
In this agreement there are two parties involved; the first is the company or organization that needs a loan, who is known as the Borrower and the second is the company or organization who is lending out the money, also known as the Lender in legal terminology.
When Do You Need a Stock Pledge Agreement?
The most common application of a Stock Pledge Agreement can be found when a company or organization is organizing for a financial restructuring wherein, they need a certain amount of loan to carry out the procedure. In exchange for the loan to be issued, the borrower gives away shares or stocks to act as collateral.
The unique part of this agreement is the fact that this legal document majorly acts as a funding instrument which can be issued between two organizations, when either of them is in need of a financial restructuring.
Inclusions in Stock Pledge Agreement
- Parties Involved: In this agreement, there are usually two parties involved; the first being the parent organization or company, also known as the Borrower and the second being the lending corporation or company, also known as the Lender.
- Effective Dates: This section of the legal document states the important dates in the transaction process, such as when the loan will be issued and by what date does it need to be reimbursed.
- Where does it Apply: This contract is legally binding within the boundaries of the state, city or county it was originally issued at.
How to Draft a Stock Pledge Agreement?
Follow the below-mentioned steps in order to draw this agreement.
- Organize a meeting between both the organizations. Discuss the terms of the loan agreement, the total amount of funds that will be loaned out, the date on which the loan will be disbursed, the rate of interest for the loan and much more.
- Once both the parties have agreed to the terms and conditions, reach out to a legal team and ask them to draft a Stock Pledge Agreement on your organization’s behalf.
- Cross verify and check the details with both the parties and file the contract in the local court of law as advised by your legal team.
Benefits of a Stock Pledge Agreement
The major benefits of this agreement are as follows.
- This contract is a legal proof of a transaction taking place between the lender and the borrower and thus can be produced in court whenever there is a need.
- This contract clearly outlines the finer details of the transaction, so that both parties are well aware of them at all points in time.
- In the absence of a Stock Pledge Agreement, both parties stand to face a loss since either of them doesn’t have a legal proof of a transaction ever taking place.
Key Terms & Clauses in Stock Pledge Agreement
- Notices: Both the parties need to issue certain notices to each other during the tenure of the contract, the details of which are shared in this section.
- Disclaimers: Both the stakeholders need to produce certain disclaimers and guarantees to each other; the details of the same are shared here.
- Remedies: In the case of a default in payment or lapse in terms and conditions, certain remedies come into action and this section contains the details of the same.
- Obligations: Before such a legal contract can be entered upon, both the parties need to fulfil certain obligations to each other, the details of which are stated here.
[Also Read: Collateral Security Agreement]
Download Stock Pledge Agreement
Download a sample Stock Pledge Agreement by clicking here.
Download this USA Attorney made Original Agreement for only $9.99