What Is the New York Lease Agreement?
In case you want to rent a property to a tenant, it is necessary to ensure that you should have a written lease agreement before assigning the property to a tenant. In other words, a written agreement must be done before the tenant shifts to the specified property. A New York Lease Agreement is also such type of deal where both the tenant and landlord mention their terms and conditions in writing before renting out a property.
When Do You Need a New York Lease Agreement?
As explained earlier, a lease agreement is required in case of the following scenarios;
- When a person in New York wants is leasing a residential property to a third party
- When a person in New York wants to rent a room or house
- When a person in New York wants to take a residential property on lease from a landowner who does not have a lease format.
However, there is no such standard requirement for lease agreement in New York. But, there are some basic needs and obligations that have to be included in the lease agreement. The fundamental elements include names of the landlord, name of the tenant, the property address, rent amount of the property, the due date of Rent, who will pay the Rent, the process of payment, amount of security deposit, etc. In the case of the New York Lease agreement, there is also some additional requirements that has to be included. More specifically, when the property is located in New York City.
What Should Be Included in the New York Lease Agreement?
A lease agreement generally defined as a rental agreement or contract which can be legally enforceable. The agreement is made between a tenant and a landlord. It contains the details of the obligations of both parties. Including names of the landlord, name of the tenant, the property address, rent amount of the property, the due date of Rent, who will pay the Rent, the process of payment, amount of security deposit, etc. The following are some of the elements that have to be included in the lease agreement;
- Names of Landlord and Tenant
- The Property Address
- Duration of the Property
- Amount of Rent
- Due date of Rent
- Amount of Security Deposit
- Policy for Pets
- Utilities as required by Landlord or Tenant
Apart from this, some additional basics of the New York lease agreement are also required which are as follows;
- Section of Code
- Lease Term (which can be converted monthly in case of absence of a written agreement)
- Interest Deposit (If applicable)
- Adoption of the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act
- No Discrimination (Basing on creed, color, race, sex, marital status, age, disability, the status of a family, gender, etc.)
Types of the New York Lease Agreement
There are different types of the lease agreement in the field of accounting. Generally, the terms and conditions of the lease agreement provide the basic idea. They determine and record the transactions in the financial statements of the company. The kinds described above of lease agreement include the sale and leaseback, operating lease, capital lease, etc.
The term capital lease is also known as a financial lease. The lessee needs all the advantages and duties of property ownership. Here, the lessee needs records and the contract as an asset in the balance sheet with liability in correspondence.
Similarly, an operating lease is also known as a service lease. In this type of rental, the lessor obtains all the advantages and ownership responsibilities. However, it is to be noted that the property cannot be recorded on the balance sheet of the lessee.
In case of sale and leaseback agreement, the property owner was sold to another party. After that, the property was immediately leased back to the other party. In such a case, the owner of the property becomes the lessee, and the purchaser will become the lessor. The companies do this for free, and they can be tied up in the fixed asset which was in liquid form.
How to Draft a New York Lease Agreement?
The following are the steps to draft a lease agreement;
- Names of the landlord, tenant, or any agent of a landlord who is authorized to control and manage the property on behalf of the landlord
- A small description regarding the property, including the appliances placed in the room, rental unit, etc.
- The description of the amount of rent, its due date, grace period if any, charges in case of late payment and fee charges if any
- The medium for the delivery of the Rent whether it will be paid in cash or cheque
- The amount of security deposit that has to be paid by the tenant
- Methods for the termination of the lease agreement before the date of its expiration, if any, accordingly the charges will be made
- The details of the utilities as provided by the landlord, the expenses of the services, the process for the determination of charges for utilities
- Details of the facilities and amenities provided to the tenant, which may include laundry, security system, swimming pool, etc.
- Details of pet rules and regulations
- Details of Parking Areas
What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of a New York Lease?
The advantages of a lease agreement are many. The following are some of the benefits of a lease agreement;
- It sets its boundaries legally, both on the part of the landlord and tenant. That they will not be able to misuse the deal in any illegal manner.
- Until and unless the lease provides the clause, the rent amount of the property cannot be increased or decreased.
- In case there is any such dispute, both landlord and tenant can settle things amicably.
- In case there is no lease agreement, it can create misunderstanding among the parties.
- Everything comes with its advantages and disadvantages. The following are some of the disadvantages of a lease agreement;
- The property becomes bound for a specified period.
- When a person wants a rental accommodation for a limited period, in that case, he may not need a lease agreement
- In case a person got a job transfer, the lease agreement may not be beneficial for him anymore.
- If a person decides to buy a house during the period of Rent, he may be asked to include the lease provision to terminate the lease without any penalty
What Happens in Case of Violation of New York Lease Agreement?
In New York, there can be several scenarios for the violation of the lease agreement. Both landlord as well as the tenant. In most of the cases, when a tenant violates the terms and conditions of the lease agreement, the landlord may evict the tenant and also can terminate the tenancy. In such cases, the landlord provides written notice to the tenant and subsequently can file a lawsuit in the court.
According to the law of New York, the landlord needs to end the tenancy in a particular manner. For this, there are different processes and notices are required, considering the current situation.
Based on the above analysis and facts, it can be concluded that a lease agreement is essential to be signed between a landlord and tenant. This is imperative to avoid any future dispute and misunderstanding between them. However, everything has its pros and cons; both landlord and tenant must understand their requirement before signing the lease agreement.
You can Download the New York Lease Agreement customize it according to your needs and Print. New York Lease Agreement is either in MS Word, Excel or in PDF.
Sample New York Lease Agreement
Download this USA Attorney made Original Agreement for only $9.99
If you need any alterations or have any queries, please contact us before downloading.