Introduction About the CA Lease Agreement
A lease agreement can be defined as a legal document that is made by a landlord and tenant with regard to leasing a property for a definite period of time. This document gives the right to the tenant to use the property in a specific manner, whether it may be commercial or residential.
What Is CA Lease Agreement?
A CA lease agreement is a legal document that is signed by a landlord and tenant in respect of leasing a property for a definite period of time located in California. This agreement is a legally binding agreement and can be used for residential or commercial property. This agreement allows the tenant to take legal possession of the property. The most commonly used California Lease Agreement includes a roommate lease agreement, commercial lease agreement, and standard residential lease agreement.
A California residential lease agreement encapsulates important clauses that are clearly stated, and can be easily obtained through a California residential lease agreement doc from online sources. Alternatively, a commercial lease agreement California is also elaborative and can help.
Who Takes a CA Lease Agreement?
A landlord and tenant enter into the lease agreement. In case of such an agreement, it should adhere to Californian laws, and if doesn’t, the agreement unenforceable in the court of law.
What Is the Purpose of a CA Lease Agreement?
One of the basic purposes of the lease agreement is to explain and mention the details of the duty and responsibilities of the tenant during his course of stay at the property and also, he should consider the property as an asset. Apart from that, it ensures security to both landlord and tenant(s) with regard to their legal rights of the property.
Contents of a CA Lease Agreement
Always read a Ca lease agreement before you sign the agreement, else you could be legally bound to clauses which you didn’t agree upon. You need to consider a lot of clauses in the agreement. A standard California lease agreement should include
- The landlord’s full name or name of the property management company’s legal business. Also, the full name of the tenant(s) along with the property address.
- Rental Amount, which ideally includes the date of commencement of the agreement, including the rent amount, it’s due date, and to whom and the address the rent is to be paid.
- A Term that helps explain the type of lease agreement, i.e a month to month lease, roommate lease agreement, etc. It also states the date that the lease will end.
- Security Deposits that elucidates the deposit that must be paid by the tenant in advance of the tenant and,
- Initial Payment, that is the total amount of money (first month’s rent, the security deposit) that the tenant must pay to move into space.
Opting for a California lease can be tricky. You can also refer to a California lease agreement template, or refer to a few California lease agreement pdf forms to a detailed view on the inclusions you need to mandatorily have in your agreement.
How to Draft a CA Lease Agreement?
The process of drafting of a Ca Lease Agreement has been annexed below;
- Mention the names and addresses of the lessor and lessee as well as their agents
- Mention the Description of the property
- Mention the rent amount, grace period, due date and penalty, late charges if any
- Mention the mode of payment
- Mention the process or method for the termination of the agreement before the expiration of the agreement
- Mention the rules regarding parking, terrace, pet, etc.
- Mention the details of penalties in case of violation of any of the aforesaid rules
- Mention the details of the utilities provided and how it can be used
- Mention the details of amenities and facilities including swimming pool, laundry or security systems
- Details regarding the repair and maintenance expenses and who will bear the same
- Facilities and amenities provided
- Details of Municipal dues and who will bear the same
- Details of society maintenance charge
- Notice period in case of termination of the agreement
- The grounds or reasons for termination of the agreement
- Repairs and Maintenance
- Amount of Rent
- Details of the security deposit if any
- Advance paid if any
- Mode of adjustment
- Escalation clause
Generally, it is the responsibility of the tenant and landlord to read the agreement before signing it and ask for the modification and negotiation which will favor both the parties in the long term, especially for the tenant.
The following are some of the negotiation strategies that should be adopted by a tenant;
- Evaluation of the length of the agreement
- Researching about Rents in CA
- Researching the hidden cost required in renting a property in CA
- Asking for causes which are favorable in long term
- Checking on the termination clause of the agreement
Benefits and Drawbacks of a CA Lease Agreement
A CA lease agreement provides the following benefits;
- The leaseholder pays for the use of the property
- Considering liquidity it does not involve much amount of money
- The rates are fixed, thus monthly costs can be calculated easily
- Sales risk is minimum
A CA lease agreement has the following drawbacks;
- Legally bounded agreement for the entire tenure of the agreement.
- Fixed costs are high in each month
- Sometimes can be more expensive as compared to purchase
What Happens in Case of a Violation?
When a violation of clauses of the lease agreement happens, it will be considered as a breach of contract. Any sort of violation by either landlord or tenant can revoke the rights to control the property. In case the tenant violates the agreement, the landlord has the right to evict the tenant by giving notice. On the other hand, in case of violation on the part of the landlord, the tenant can use him for damages incurred.
Generally, a lease agreement helps to explain and mention the details of the duty and responsibilities of the tenant during his course of stay at the property. Apart from that, it provides both landlord(s) and tenant(s) to secure their rights in respect of the property legally.
Thus, if you are encumbered with thoughts on “how to fill out California residential lease agreement” or “how to get out of a lease in California”, the above-mentioned pointers will definitely assist you in getting a better and secure deal in California!
Sample California Lease Agreement
Download this USA Attorney made Original Agreement for only $9.99
If you need any alterations or have any queries, please contact us before downloading.
This agreement is made between Landlord and Tenant on the effective date of 13th November, 2011.
Landlord represented by
Mr. Robert Watson
Address: 2107 West Orange Avenue, Anaheim CA 92804
Contact number: (714) 952-1736
Tenant represented by:
Mr. Peter Kane
Address: 225 East Bogert Trail, Palm Springs CA 92264
Contact number: (760) 322-0159
Terms and Conditions:
- THIS AGREEMENT referred to as the “California Lease” hereinafter is entered into Thirteenth (day) of November (Month), 2011 (year), by and between Mr. Robert Watson (referred to as “Landlord” hereinafter) and Mr. Peter Kane referred to as “Tenant” hereinafter.
- PROPERTY. The “Landlord” owns real estate property located at “770 East Chuckwalla Road, Palm Springs CA 92262” referred to as the “Property” hereinafter. The Landlord shall lease the “Property” Premises to the Tenant under the terms and conditions as mentioned in this California Lease agreement. The Tenant shall take on lease the “Property” Premises from the Landlord under terms and conditions as mentioned in this agreement.
- This Lease Agreement shall commence on 13 November 2011 and the term of the lease will be for 2 years. The termination date of the lease shall be on 13 November 2013 at 14:59 PM.
- Tenant shall pay to Landlord under the terms and conditions of this agreement, the sum of $ 6,000 per month as Rent. Due date of the payment of Rent shall be the 7th day of each calendar month.
- The Tenant shall not sublet, sell, or re-assign this agreement, for use of the “Property” Premises without a prior written consent from the Landlord.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties “Landlord” and “Tenant” have executed this Lease agreement as on the date set forth which is 11/13/2011 (MM/DD/YY).
SIGNED FOR AND ON BEHALF OF LANDLORD BY:
SIGNED FOR AND ON BEHALF OF TENANT BY: