A Brief Introduction About the Boxing Contract
Professional boxers who fight on a regular basis are determined by a contract. The professional boxers are supervised by an authority that guarantees the safety of the fighters, and these regulations are mentioned in the contract. The contract also specifies the championship belts, the rules, and regulations related to the game, details related to the judge, referee, and details of high-profile boxers. This contract also specifies that Boxer A will engage with boxer B based on the guaranteed payment details for their performance.
The payment is determined on the basis of the fight expected revenue. This expected revenue is also known as market revenue. It is calculated based on an estimate of the total willingness of the other fighters, advertisers, and other parties that are interested in the boxing match. The boxing contract also states that the Boxer will pay the manager an amount for the promotional service provided by him, and this will be in the form a certain percentage of the revenue earned by the Boxer. Provision of the payment, like the training expenses, travel expenses, bonus, or any other monetary detail, will be mentioned in this agreement (Love et al. 2005).
If the Boxer, the manager, and the notary agree to the terms and conditions mentioned in the contract, only then will the agreement will be enforceable. The Boxer will have to lay the match in exchange for revenue that will be earned by him.
Who Takes the Boxing Manager Contract?
The parties involved in the boxing management contract is the Boxer himself, the manager and co-manager if required. The terms and conditions are between the manager and the Boxer because the manager is promoting the Boxer to get opportunities to play the match. This is done in exchange for a share of the profit earned by the Boxer (Filimonov et al. 1985).
Purpose of the Boxing Contract
The purpose of the Boxing agreement is to clarify the terms and conditions of the game, to clarify the compensation that will be earned by the Boxer and the percentage of earnings that will be received by the manager (Forman, 1996). Also, the contract states that once the contract is signed by the Boxer, then it means that the Boxer agrees to enter the boxing contest, on the given location, date, number of rounds to decide who wins the game, wright of both the boxers who will be playing the match and the scales provided by the regulations of the State.
Contents of the Boxing Contract
The boxing contract includes the following: –
- Term – The dates from which the boxing matches will take place will be mentioned in the form of start date and end date (Tenorio, 2000).
- Compensation – The revenue that will be earned by the Boxer along with the share percentage that will be made by the manager and the co-manager will also be mentioned.
- Boxer agrees – This section states the necessary steps that the Boxer needs to take so that he can be prepared for the match
- Non-compete Agreements- The boxing management should have a contract with the boxer that prevents the latter from participating in any contests or exhibitions other than those explicitly allowed by boxing management. The exclusivity contract should also include clauses that prevent the boxer from lending his name or speaking for any event dealing in similar business except those authorised by the boxing management in his contract.
- Manager – The rights, duties and responsibilities of the manager will be mentioned. In the exclusivity of contract, the manager has the rights to make the boxer appear for all the training sessions that the manager organises. He should also travel by any means of conveyance required by the manager throughout the duration of the agreement
- Licensure – Both Boxer and the manager should have the license to play the match.
- Termination – The contract between the manager and the Boxer will be terminated in case of breach or when the term gets over.
How to Draft the Boxer Management Contract?
The following steps will be taken to draft the boxing contract: –
- Firstly, the names of the parties involved will be clearly mentioned, along with the term of the contract.
- Secondly, the specifications related to the fight, like ethics, business standards, safety, all will be mentioned
- The contract should specify what part of the earnings will the manager pay the boxer for his services. The clause should encourage the boxer to participate and fulfill any contractual obligations the manager may enter into on behalf of the boxer. For complying with the provisions of the agreement, the manager should agree to offer remunerative contests and exhibitions for the boxer for which he shall travel as and when the manager requires
- The next section includes sponsorship like the affiliation, partnership, signage all the details will be provided in this section.
- Followed by that will be the promotional rights that will specify the miller identified ring mats with no other brand commercial advertising on it.
- Then the last section will include modification of agreement, the rights of refusal, term period, warranty, and termination details.
Benefits & Drawbacks of the Boxing Contract
The boxing agreement binds the manager and Boxer together for the common interest of both parties, which is to earn high revenue by playing the matches. With the help of this contract, the Boxer is not only able to earn high revenue, but he also practices a healthy lifestyle and has enhanced body composition. The health condition of the Boxer is enhanced because of this game.
The contract binds a person who is a Boxer, in this case, to cause harm to another person to attain fame and money. The game is to knock down another person who is Boxer B so that Boxer A can win the amount. Sometimes this game also leads to death or failure of a body organ because of which a person suffers for the rest of his life. Thus, this game is quite dangerous.
[ Also Read: Sports Contracts ]
What Happens in Case of Violation?
When one or more parties do not obey the details mentioned in the contract, then the contract will be violated. The Boxer or the manager will not be entitled to compensation because one or both of them did not enter the contract in good faith. They did not have a common understanding because of which the contract was violated (Zazryn et al. 2006)(1). Also, the contract will be violated when the parties involved do not follow the rules specified by the commission.
To conclude, when a boxing contract is signed, it means that the Boxer agrees to the rights and obligations and the contract shall be constructed as per the state law. The boxer’s aim is to participate in a context by signing the boxing contract and engaging in an abnormally dangerous activity.